a

Friday 3 April 2015

Write a letter

WALT: write a letter.

Peak Camp,Gallipoli
April 1914

Dear Mum, Dad and Whanau
I have really missed you  at times. I try distracting myself but it’s to hard. I’ve met some new friends and I really like them. They help cheer me up when I’m down. We have been really busy and we don’t get much time to sleep or eat everything is  just like there to here and back 20 times.

The food is disgusting and watery. Last night we had Peas and one slice of bread. I didn’t eat much because it was cold and stiff. There were 3 soldiers that died because of food poisoning. We had 2 biscuits for dessert and got a pack of playing cards which was good I really enjoyed playing with the other soldiers. And if you wouldn’t mind could you make me some of those divine biscuits you make.

The sleep arrangement is so difficult. Some soldiers have to sleep standing up. Luckily I slept on a mattress last night. It was a rough night last night because it was pouring down with rain and it kept on coming and going.

I get really tired on the battlefield because there’s late nights and early mornings. I stayed up til midnight waiting for my shift to finish.

There was 4 deaths, 7 wounded and 2 kept as prisoners. I was hopping that I wouldn’t be one of those categories because I get really scared and terrified. I  can’t wait til the war is over so I can come home to nice homemade meals, hot showers and  a nice comfortable bed.

P.S if I don’t make it I wish all  the best and send my love to the whanau.

From Yours Dearly

Lauren Howell

0 comments:

Post a Comment